Friday, March 9, 2007

You Can Bring Me Chocolate

I just wanted to dance
even if I had to learn how first. I don’t
know why. I guess because he was
such a good dancer. Maybe that’s why she left
but what was she doing dancing anyway.

There I am, still in shock that I’m going to
grow old alone, without dreams. Without love.
And I’m standing there talking about you.
We hadn’t even met yet. Not here.

I just wanted to dance.
You were some immortal memory
recalled from some other dream. Walked
through a door from your heaven, into this hell.
You roamed the halls of my destruction
while my life burned in the fire of
some mad god’s imagination.

I should have run as fast as life could go.
Someone, something else would have
been waiting. I wasn’t looking for you.
I was waiting, hoping for her.

I just wanted to dance.
Yet magic and wonder live, two sisters, feign sleep.
Concealed from eyes that cannot see. Will not
believe. Awakened, immutable powers heal,
resurrect, and blaze through the darkness.

They loosened despair’s hold,
exposed Death’s little black lie. They filled
the abyss with light, built a bridge across.
And then they allowed me to be . . .

Caught. Surprised by joy.
A wisp of red hair nearly touches the page.
Soft. Seductive.
Lowered my head to hear,
into that sweet noose.
You can bring me chocolate.
I just wanted to dance.

(for Noreen)

No comments: