Tuesday, May 1, 2007

driving with my eyes closed

I admit it wasn’t my first option
hadn’t even become a choice
until I had nearly given up the idea entirely

but there I was
somewhere between the
moon and the sun
driving with my eyes closed
life and death hovering
inches above the asphalt

it wasn’t so bad
the car was a good one
handled well and was comfortable
though I wish I’d bought
something other than brown

and inexplicably
unimaginable peace overtook me
in the midst of chaos I sat back
let my skull sink into the headrest
eyes closed
and surrendered to the unknowable

there were
no attendant gods
no heaven in which to rest hope
no more questions to ask
none to answer
where once conscious thought traveled
now came the rhythm of the road
its music moving up through wheel and axle
steel frame
up through shoes and bones
finding at last its way to my core
Heidegger and Einstein waited
as I was sucked across their bridge

spirit
now freed from its soul
slipped through
that fabric that divides
one universe from the next
it was then
just before death
that I truly came alive
and rather than dying
I was being born

all are new to me
and I marvel
living amongst your shadowlike host
for here I have learned to love redheads
experience rooms spinning with dance
and found I enjoy telling stories

but times still aren’t all that good for me
had to let the brown car go
the payments were just too steep
I’ve got a little black job now
my favorite color
of course
though it doesn’t handle like
that old sedan

and I am alone

understand
I’m not complaining
just don’t want you to worry
should you see me
with eyes closed
bobbing and weaving
down some long
long stretch of highway

I just want to stay in practice.

No comments: