Tuesday, May 1, 2007

reap this

he follows me everywhere I go
it’s not like it’s some secret
after all why hide
when everyone pretends
not to see you

I duck through a door
take a seat
a little off the top Ray
clean up the sides
he watches through the window
from a bus stop across the street

at the market I buy a couple of
frozen dinners
a gallon of milk
moving down the meat aisle
he runs a hand
across the prime and cheap cuts alike

guy at the end of the line
goes gray
as my shadow
gently pushes in front of him
doesn’t buy a thing

it used to bother me
a few years back
thinking he was looking for me
just the same I’d act like he wasn’t
pretend like the rest of you

so now he’s back
walking along behind me
but this time I’m not afraid
although I have to admit
he’s starting to get on my nerves

but I like his style
black’s my favorite color too
goes with my hair
don’t know the color of his
but the hood’s a good touch anyway

I wait on him
he catches up at the light
we look both ways
before crossing
puts his cold hand on my shoulder
like we’re old friends

come on I say
I’ll buy you a cup of coffee
he isn’t much for talk
and that’s okay
he’s a good listener
I like that because
I’ve got questions
and I want answers

you been doing this a long time
ever get tired of the whiners
praying
trying to cut a deal
asking for more time

and what about my soul
I thought you guys were
going to go at it
decide who gets it
I was betting on him
but it seems you got nothing to worry about
he hasn’t put up much of a fight


he just sits there
sipping cold black coffee
pretends I’m not even alive
I’m fed up with this shit
get a life I tell him
take your best shot
reap this
gesturing in his empty face

you’re in over your head pal
there’s easier pickings outside
screw with me and
I’ll have your job
and start following you

all he can do is shake his head
so I get up
walk out the door
head back up the street
hell with him
he can leave the tip

I get about a block away
and look back
he steps onto the sidewalk
looks my way
starts following again
but I can tell he’s holding back
not sure he wants my kind
where he comes from.

No comments: