Thursday, March 8, 2007

Black and White

It’s the first snow of the year. I’m sitting
here by the window writing about the dog he
hit yesterday. A black lab. The kid in the old
Dodge truck, a fifty something, I think; he’s only
twenty something. Comes flying out of the drive
like his life depended on it. Looks like the dog’s
did. That dog, he must have been a hundred
years old. I never did know where he came from.

I keep turning to look out the window. Those first
ten thousand flakes? That’s the best part. That
feeling something wonderful’s about to happen. I
go downstairs, open the door and just stand there;
watching it. In person. Jesus, it’s quiet. It’s like
a church; not one of those Baptist churches but
a real one; a cathedral like the Catholics have;
something about those churches. Cathedrals.
Thought about converting once but hell, I didn’t
believe in anything where I was, so what difference
was it going to make? Still, I liked those cathedrals.

A couple of kids. When my wife was here we used
to go out and play in it. We’d put on those down
jackets we got up in B.C.?, heavy boots and we’d be out
the door. I remember the way the snow used to stick to her
hair; God she was beautiful. We’d walk around looking
at it. Like it was the first time. All over again.
Like making love to her.

Snow. Yeah, this is the real thing. It’s sticking. That’s
how you know it’s real. It’s got to stick right away; not just
to the grass but the road as well. But you never know. The
temp goes up one or two degrees and it’s gone. Like her.

Got to be at least a couple of inches. I never have figured out what makes it snow. Never have figured out why she left. There’s no snow where she lives now. What I like about the snow is it covers up all the trash on the ground, settles on the roofs. The trees. Hides a lot of things I’d rather not look at. Makes everything look clean. New. I can see God’s hand in this like so many things. Wonder why I can’t ever see the rest of him?

It’s really coming down. Must be, over three inches. That dog? You can hardly see him now.

No comments: