Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Disconnect

I wander the halls of the interred, search the names
etched in marble or granite of those I might have known,
while their lives walk me vault to vault. I’ve come
seeking a last visit with you.

Save the Mexican caretaker, only I and the dead have
arrived for the ceremony that will honor you, bring
each of us a false peace. I fear I will not find you;
it is easy for the dead to hide from the living. We
are near certain they have just stepped away,
out of sight for a brief moment.

But at last I see you, in the rose garden. Sixty ounces
in an ornate urn wrapped in a tasseled felt bag. Atop
a wooden dais, where you can survey old and new
friends alike. Just you and I now, as we share a
moment before your procession of mourners comes
to lean upon each other, and commend your
soul to their separate heavens.

Your daughter and her sons are the first to join us;
your sister and her god take their front-row seats.
My brother would not come when you were alive,
why now? Your first husband sits sobbing, at home.
The second waits in the ground. Faces taut,
each mouth a rictus, as if it is they
whom we bury. A tired minister,
rented from the local classifieds,
takes his place before we gathered.

I do not fear the dead. For me they differ little
from the living, except they do not chatter
incessantly to keep terror at bay. Nonetheless I
am unsettled; you and I have changed in some way I
do not understand. I feel the disconnect while
holding my sister as she sobs. Pours your ashes into
a hole, her tears nourishing the soil to which you
return. I set a sapling maple in your hands; the
migrant porter sweeps dirt around its burlap
edges. I want to ask him who it is we
place in this earth.

Where is the coiffed blond hair, even into your
eighties; the perfect makeup? Your nightly cocktail
untouched. Your kitchen’s air suddenly
smoke-free. Why have you stopped laughing?
No longer seek the lights?

The old grave tender shakes our hands as we file out,
whispers his regrets. I tell him a week has passed,
and still you don’t answer your phone.

No comments: